SUBSCRIBE TO TMCnet
TMCnet - World's Largest Communications and Technology Community

CHANNEL BY TOPICS


QUICK LINKS




Share

January 25, 2008

Business Travelers Cool To In-Flight Wi-Fi, Survey Finds

(TechwebNews.com Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge) Airlines rushing to provide Wi-Fi and other in-flight communications may be out of step with passengers, who generally aren't particularly anxious to get the wireless services, according to the results of a survey released Thursday by the Orbitz online travel company.




Based on a survey of business travelers, Orbitz found that that 56% believe they don't need to be connected while flying; another 36% said they would attempt to get a flight with Wi-Fi when available. Just 8% called wireless connectivity "very important" and would take more expensive or less convenient flights to get the service.

In recent months, many airlines have been hurrying to bring wireless service -- usually Wi-Fi networking technology -- to their passengers, and usually on long distance flights.

"Technological advances have made business travelers today more productive than ever before," said Dean Sivley, senior VP, COO and general manager of Orbitz in a statement. "While there are those who use flight time to catch up on work, and Wi-Fi will enhance that ability, there are also many who view it as valuable downtime. Many travelers felt it would be hard to rest with the person next to them talking on a cell phone."

U.S. airlines and their partners working to install Wi-Fi for passengers won't permit cell phone or VoIP use on their planes while in the air; FCC chairman Kevin Martin last year put down the idea of passengers talking on wireless devices and airlines have acted accordingly by preparing to outlaw wireless talking.

Orbitz said 57% of business travelers opposed the use of cell phones in-flight in its survey.

One interesting finding in the survey is that some passengers view their time onboard flights as a chance to enjoy some quiet time. "Twelve percent of respondents say they try to use travel time to relax and take their mind off work rather than talk on the phone," according to the Orbitz survey.

With Wi-Fi expected to be introduced this year by several airlines on selected flights, the question is begged: Will business travel passengers use in-cabin wireless technology for business or for pleasure? Orbitz found that 59% said they would use Wi-Fi equally for business and pleasure. The remaining 41% were also almost equally divided with 21% saying they would use wireless service for business and 20% saying they would use it for pleasure.

Copyright ? 2008 CMP Media LLC

(source: http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2008/01/25/3230227.htm)




PhoneFusion Unveils Enhancements to its PhoneFusio.....
Changing the World One SIP at a Time
University of Kentucky Using CosmoCom's Hosted Con.....
IVT Completes Interoperability Testing on Citel's .....
Frost & Sullivan Recognizes Cypress Communications.....
VoIP Logic Enhances Service Provider Provisioning .....
BroadSoft Participates in SIP Trunking Workshops a.....
'End-to-End QoS' Discussed at ITEXPO Session
FCC Pulls in $2.4 Billion During First Round of 70.....
FreedomVOICE Systems Offers New Agent Opportunity .....
VocalTec Names Chen Porat Vice President for Sales
Business Travelers Cool To In-Flight Wi-Fi, Survey.....
Monaco Telecom to work with Alvarion, Cisco and No.....
Nortel and Q1 Labs to Deliver Best-of Breed Securi.....
F5 Networks Announces Appointment of New Director
Dell/Fonality Phone System
Red Campaign
Big Sprint Changes
Dell VoIP Products Analysis
Sprint Sues VoIP Firms
ITEXPO: Article in Sun-Sentinel
Best Practices for Leveraging Home-Based Agent Sol.....







Technology Marketing Corporation

2 Trap Falls Road Suite 106, Shelton, CT 06484 USA
Ph: +1-203-852-6800, 800-243-6002

General comments: [email protected].
Comments about this site: [email protected].

STAY CURRENT YOUR WAY

© 2021 Technology Marketing Corporation. All rights reserved | Privacy Policy