NTT DoCoMo Inc. (news - alert), a mobile communications provider and its eight regional subsidiaries announced today that the N900iL—a dual-network 3G FOMA handset that runs on both the FOMA network and wireless LANs, will be released tomorrow.
The company has more than 42 million users in Japan and over 3 million users now enjoying i-mode services via GSM networks in Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Taiwan, and Greece. The newest service will start in Australia later this year.
The N900iL was designed to support DoCoMo's PASSAGE DUPLE system for dual-network operation as both a standard FOMA phone and a VoIP mobile phone over a corporate user's internal wireless LAN. The phone and system will be marketed through DoCoMo's corporate business division and partner companies.
Optional settings enable the phone to receive incoming calls from either the FOMA network or wireless LAN only, or both networks in dual mode. Standard phone functions, such as call waiting and transferring, are possible in the wireless LAN mode.
The N900iL browser can be used both inside and outside the office allowing users to have access to schedules, e-mail and documents saved on intranet servers.
Callers can dial another N900iL handset registered on the same wireless LAN and view its status onscreen (i.e., confirm if the called party is online, offline, in a meeting, out of office, on a business trip, etc.). Instant messaging between N900iL handsets on a wireless LAN is also possible.
The N900iL features include:
- Continuous Stand-by Time: FOMA—approx. 350 hours (static) and approx. 270 hours (dynamic). Wireless LAN—approx. 230 hours. Dual mode—approx. 150 hours.
- Continuous Talk Time: FOMA—approx. 140 minutes. VoIP—approx. 160 minutes.
- Continuous Video Calling: approx. 90 minutes.
- External Memory Device: miniSD Memory Card.
- Camera: Outer—CCD camera with an effective resolution of approx. 1 mega pixels, and a recorded resolution of 2 mega pixels. Inner—CCD Camera with an effective resolution of approx. 110,000 pixels and a recorded resolution of 100,000 pixels.
- Wireless LAN: Protocol—IEEE802.11b international standard. Call control—SIP. Functions—browsing, callee status and instant messaging.
NTT DoCoMo is a mobile communications company that serves more than 48 million customers in Japan. The company offers a variety of mobile multimedia services, including i-mode, which provides e-mail and Internet access to over 42 million subscribers, and FOMA—launched in 2001 as a 3G mobile service based on W-CDMA. In addition to wholly owned subsidiaries in Europe and North America, the company is expanding its reach through alliances with mobile and multimedia service providers in Asia-Pacific, Europe and North America.
|Johanne Torres is contributing editor for TMCnet.com and Internet Telephony magazine. Previously, she was
assistant editor for EContent magazine in Connecticut. She
can be reached by e-mail at email@example.com.