Motorola Computer Group
2900 South Diablo Way
Tempe, AZ 85282
- Offers central-office standards compliance in a 3U single-shelf format, providing
greater flexibility for OEMs developing systems with distributed architectures like
- The series comes with four slots with a drive-bay carrier for support of combinations of
CD-ROM, floppy, EIDE and SCSI hard drives, and tape backup units. Pentium II and PowerPC
CPU cards and H.110 backplanes are optional.
- The series also features redundant cooling, an alarm card with temperature, voltage
regulation, and fan rotation monitoring, and a high reliability, 150-Watt , auto-ranging
AC or DC power supply. It also meets NEBS/ETSI compliance.
Terabit Switch Router (TSR)
Avici Systems, Inc.
10 Billerica Ave.
North Billerica, MA 01862-1256
- The TSR from Avici Systems can handle up to 560 OC-192/STM-64 ports, and offers an
aggregate switched bandwidth of 5.6 Tbps. It can provide direct connectivity to dense wave
division multiplexers, reducing the amount of equipment carriers need to deploy to provide
high-speed transport networks.
- Features include the Velociti high-performance switching fabric, MPLS-based coupled
layer trunking, and a distributed routing architecture. The TSR also offers packet over
wavelengths (POW) optical integration, class of service support, and remote management and
- The TSR Chassis supports 40 line cards per bay, as well as redundant power, cooling, and
switch fabric elements. As many as 14 bays can be interconnected to create a single
TransMedia Communications, Inc. (now part of Cisco Systems)
5729 Fontanoso Way
San Jose, CA 95138
- Offering high-density termination and switching of voice, video, and data traffic, the
MMS-1600 from TransMedia supports these media types through the company?s MultiPath
- The switch will terminate voice traffic for transport over packet, circuit-switched, or
wide-area networks, and integrates these capabilities into the system architecture. A
high-speed, multi-bus design offers switching points between TDM, cell, or packet
- Other features include high reliability through hot swappable modules and a redundant
architecture. DSP and RISC-based processing offer five Gbps to 10 Gbps of switching
capacity, and the switch can be scaled to more than 100,000 ports.
Sonus Networks, Inc.
5 Carlisle Road
Westford, MA 01886
- Sonus' GSX9000 Open Services Switch offers complete redundancy of all system elements,
toll-quality voice, and interoperability with the SS7 network. It can scale to accommodate
hundreds of thousands of calls, and is NEBS compliant.
- The switch features voice coding, G.168 echo cancellation, and low switch delays. A
single switch shelf can support more than 8,000 simultaneous IP calls, and a fully
configured switch enables hundreds of thousands of calls.
- It also offers high density, and a few shelves can support the same number of calls as a
room full of circuit-switching equipment. The GSX9000 also reduces required floor space,
for savings in cooling and power costs. The switch offers interoperability with H.323
terminals and gateways as well.
Unisphere Solutions, Inc.
200 Wheeler Road
Burlington, MA 01803
- Unisphere's SMX-2100 can transparently connect any service from any network, without
regard for disparate signaling, and access and network technologies. The platform offers
service mediation capabilities for protecting investments in legacy networks, while
providing the services of converged voice and data networks.
- The PSTN arm of the platform offers a distributed processing model for unbundling core
voice switching from Class 5 switches. Traffic may be offloaded from digital switches
directly to the Internet, and service providers can manage peering agreements and bundle
voice and data services for enterprise customers.
- The SMX-2100 uses management mediation for simple creation and delivery of services, and
utilizes a call processing engine module to offer signaling mediation. It also uses a
Digital eXchange Module for transport mediation, and a shelf controller engine module to
help implement management mediation.
Integrated Convergence Switch (ICS)
900 Chelmsford St.
Tower Three, 11th Floor
Lowell, MA 01851
- Convergent's ICS second-generation convergence switch offers interworking and adaptation
among next generation packet-based and traditional TDM networks for switching
multi-service voice and data traffic.
- The switch works with the company?s Service Management Gateway (SMG) to offer scalable
call management and support for multi-protocol signaling like SS7. It features hot standby
and non-disruptive software upgrades, as well as interoperability with existing TDM and
- Together, the solution offers a reduction of switching costs in a high-density, small
footprint. The switch offers more than 100,000 DS-0 ports in a 24" x 24" space,
as well as the signaling scalability for handling more than 10 million busy hour call
PathStar Access Server
600 Mountain Ave.
Murray Hill, NJ 07974
- Lucents PathStar Access Server offers a Voice-over-IP (VoIP) gateway, remote
access server, digital loop carrier, telephony system, remote access server, DSL access
multiplexer, and edge router in one integrated system.
- The server supports IP Centrex as well as Internet and IP-VPN access through modems,
xDSL, cable modems, and IP switch/routers. It offers remote access outsourcing and managed
integrated service and access, as well as redundant equipment and NEBS compliance.
- The switch enables collocation in ILEC central offices, and supports scalability from
512 to 7,000 lines per system. Other features include support of H.323, and an advanced
call processor for support of Class 5 features and third-party application development.
Clarent Gateway 400
700 Chesapeake Dr.
Redwood City, CA 94063
- The Clarent Gateway 400 uses a combination of DSP and host-based voice processing, as
well as the G.168 echo cancellation codec to ensure quality voice switching for carrier
networks. All ports can handle voice, fax, and data traffic, and the gateway is compatible
with the H.323 protocol as well as the G.711, G.729a, and G.723.1 compression codecs.
- Scalability from 24 to 120 ports is available, and gateways may be stacked to achieve
the proper density. Up to four T1/E1 interfaces, as well as SS7, PRI-ISDN, and PBX
connections are enabled, as well as Q.931 signaling and media streaming. PSTN fallback is
also allowed if IP networks fail.
- Other features include standards-based network management, a service editor and IVR
toolbox for customization of the voice interface, and a 10/100Base-T network interface
card. The gateway comes with an Intel Pentium II 450 MHz processor with 256 MB of RAM.
2851 West Kathleen Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85023
- The IP.tel 6000 server up a high density of voice/fax channels 960 on a
single network node. The gateway uses DSP technology to ensure high voice quality and
reduce latency, and reliability is assured through least cost routing to a
circuit-switched network if the data network becomes congested.
- Current system billing and debit/calling card applications may also be leveraged using
the IP.tel 6000, which generates a range of call detail records that can be integrated
with several billing systems. The system also features a switch/gateway/IVR function for
access control and billing, and may be connected to external NT server or UNIX-based debit
- The gateway can handle up to 32 T1/E1 connections, and features integrated
cell/packet/-circuit switching, as well as CSU/-DSU. Other features include built-in
congestion control and dynamic rate change bandwidth adjustment, redundant TDM and packet
buses with dual load sharing, and hot-swappable modules
CVX 1800 Access Switch
4006 East Chapel Hill-Nelson Hwy.
P.O. Box 13010
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
- Acting as the Internet telephony gateway for Nortels IP Connect solution, the CVX
1800 is a multiservice platform offering conversion of voice and fax traffic to IP packets
and vice versa, as well as support for modem and ISDN dialup calls.
- By supporting service level agreements and policy management, the switch is able to
provide consistent service despite increases in traffic. It offers wire-speed switching,
speech compression, echo cancellation, support for a variety of codecs, and silence
- Each shelf of the CVX 1800 supports 1,344 lines, and the seven-foot rack can accommodate
up to four shelves, for 5,376 lines. Other carrier-class features include robust DSPs, a
redundant architecture, hot-swappable components, and NEBS compliance. The switch also
offers network and service management, and supports T1, E1, and T3 interfaces, as well as
broad standards complianc.
10050 Bubb Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
- The Nuvo 500 Hybrid IP Telephony Switch from Mockingbird starts off at 48 ports, and is
scalable up to 10,000. It offers a Sun UltraSPARC IIi processor running Solaris, as well
as a certifiable SS7 call control server for interfacing directly with the PSTN.
- The media gateway can scale to 576 ports in one 19" 4U system, and a fully
configured system can scale up to 20 media gateways. The switch also provides ISUP to ISUP
signaling so IP networks may act as the long-distance gateway for PSTN voice and fax
circuits. H.323 to ISUP signaling offers call control between PSTN circuits and H.323
- Other features include T1/E1 trunking interfaces, a 10/100Base-T Ethernet connection,
and G.711, G.723.1, and G.729a voice compression.
Salix Technologies, Inc.
904 Wind River Lane, Ste. 101
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
- Salixs ETX5000 service creation and delivery platform sits in the network layer
and offers toll-quality voice over TDM, IP, and ATM networks, as well as data, fax, and
virtual private network (VPN) services.
- Features include the ability to deploy class 4 tandem switching over circuit and packet
networks, and the ability to offer class 5 services to link IP and ATM core networks to
local exchange carriers. The ETX5000 can also offload data services from existing PSTN
switches, add enhanced services, and combine features with maximum flexibility to match
- The switch offers dense-scale processing (DSP) of up to 768 calls per DSP module, as
well as hot-swappable equipment, NEBS-3 compliance, and SNMP and CLI management features.
Siemens Information and Communication Networks
900 Broken Sound Pkwy. NW
Boca Raton, FL 33487
- Siemens SURPASS voice/data switching architecture offers interworking capability
between legacy intelligent network systems, PSTN/ISDN networks, and packet-based networks
using H.323 and the session initiation protocol (SIP). It is made up of the hiQ signaling
controller and call feature server, the hiG media gateways, and the hiA access platform.
- SURPASS offers scalability from one to 2,048 processor units, and can handle up to
120,000 parallel voice connections. A NetManager is also included for performing
operating, maintenance, and administration functions.
- Other features include support of the Intelligent Network Application Protocol (INAP),
the Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP), and integrated radius and gatekeeper
functionality. The platform is hot swappable and redundant, and features distributed
processing of signaling and call features handling.
Nokia IP Telephony Gateway
555 Legget Dr., Ste. 400
Kanata, ON K2K 2X3 Canada
- Nokias IP Telephony Gateway offers toll-quality voice through compression
techniques and echo cancellation. The gateway offers phone-to-phone, Web browser-to-phone,
fax-to-fax, and PC-to-phone connectivity. The latter is enabled through Nokias
my.way IP Telephony Client Application.
- Features include packet reconstruction for lost or delayed packets, silence suppression,
G.165 echo cancellation, and DTMF detection and generation. Voice conferencing, dynamic
routing of calls, call load balancing, and network configuration and monitoring are also
- Gateway models are scalable from 24/30 to 72/120 ports, and may be stacked together to
offer hundreds of ports and accommodate thousands of users. T.38 fax capability is also
available as an optional component, and up to 96 simultaneous fax calls may be handled by
VocalTec Telephony Gateway Series 2000
VocalTec Communications, Ltd.
One Executive Drive, Ste. 320
Fort Lee, NJ 07024
- VocalTecs Telephony Gateway Series 2000 features a built-in networking switch and
router for processing up to 1440/1152 calls. The DSP-based gateway offers advanced audio
capabilities like packet handling, redundancy, and reconstruction. Jitter buffer, a voice
activity detector, a comfort noise generator, and a 16/32 ms G.165 echo canceler are also
- Open architecture in the series offers the option of interfacing to third-party systems,
and development kits are available. The series can support up to 16 E1/T1 trunks, and as
many as 480/384 ports per shelf with three terminals per cabinet.
- The series is H.323 compliant, and uses industry-standard codecs. Other features include
alarms, which are sent to the PSTN exchange, a time-slot for monitoring activity, and an
optional connection to selected trunk bitstream for enhanced problem detection without an
impact on traffic.
Tempest Data Voice Gateway (DVG)
733 Lakefield Rd.
Westlake Village, CA 91361
- The Tempest DVG from Franklin Telecom now offers scalability from four to 96 ports. All
ports may be used interchangeably to switch voice, fax, or data, and the Tempest can
switch up to 24 voice channels over T1 or analog lines.
- The gateway comes in a rackmount chassis, with a DSP board that includes multiple
vocoders for auto detection and control of voice and fax calls. Voice compression is
enabled through the G.729b and G.165 vocoders for silence suppression and echo
- Other features include fax relay and detection, as well as T.38 compliance. The gateway
features an Intel PCI Bus PC interface, with processing power of 40 Mips per DSP or 480
Mips per board. In the latest configuration, a seven-foot rack can hold approximately 768
Cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Dr.
San Jose, CA 95134-1619
- Ciscos DE-30+ digital gateway connects the Cisco architecture for voice, video,
and integrated data (AVVID) packet telephony network with the PSTN or a PBX using PRI-ISDN
trunks. The gateway can support 30 voice channels on an E1 interface.
- The DE-30+ offers a PCI-based card with integrated DSPs, a 10Base-T Ethernet network
interface, a control processor with communications software for connecting to the Cisco
CallManager over a TCP/IP Ethernet link, and a remote boot procedure with DHCP and TFTP
- Features include G.711 encoding, DTMF detection and generation, line echo cancellation,
and signaling. Multiple gateways may be treated separately, or aggregated with others to
form a common pool of channels. The number of gateways installed in a PC is limited only
by the number of available slots.
Unified Services Exchange (USX1000)
Lara Technology, Inc.
2345 N. First St.
San Jose, CA 95131
- This carrier-class solution offers a high-density class 5 or class 4 switch that
integrates with existing PSTN services for transparent migration of voice to existing data
networks. The system combines the Unified Call Exchange (UCX10) with the Unified Services
Gateway (USG10) for high availability and scalability.
- The switch system is powered by Laras MediaExpress technology for optimum network
efficiency and low latency voice transport. The Unified Media Architec-ture (UMA) is
incorporated for redundancy, as well as support for hundreds of thousands of calls.
- Laras Unified Services Manager (USM) is a GUI-based management system, and the
USX1000 can easily integrate with existing operational support systems for network
services management, performance/policy monitoring, and provisioning. Open APIs are also
Nuera Communications, Inc.
10445 Pacific Center Court
San Diego, CA 92121-1761
- Nueras open, reliable communications architecture (ORCA) platform is made up of a
gateway and call agent to provide a carrier-class switching system. The gateway
communicates with the ORCA call agent using MGCP, and third-party call agents may also be
used to control the gateway network.
- The platform offers four to 136 DSPs per switch operating at 1600 MIPS per DSP. Using
Hewlett-Packards OpenCall as its foundation, the call agent is built on the HP9000-D
platform, and supports SS7, H.323, ISDN, R2, CAS, and Q.SIG signaling.
- An open software architecture, combined with CompactPCI and H.110 hardware, provides
APIs at numerous levels for easy integration of third-party applications. Additional
features include dual-feed DC or AC power modules, common logic hardware modules, and dual
Santa Clara Site
5400 Bayfront Plaza
Santa Clara, CA 95052
- The scalable CommWorks IP telephony platform from 3Com integrates with existing network
infrastructures to incorporate VoIP, SS7/Intelligent Networks, fax-over-IP, and Internet
call waiting capabilities. It also enables unified messaging and Web-based call center
applications, as well as managed multimedia services.
- CommWorks offers a standards-based solution for routing, call processing, network
management, and easy addition of new services. It allows alternative local loop access and
VPNs to be used for transport voice and fax traffic.
- Features include PSTN-quality voice that can be compressed at six Kbps per call. If a
call is silent, bandwidth is utilized for fax or data services for efficiency
Netspeak Gateway Exchange
902 Clint Moore Rd., Ste. 104
Boca Raton, FL 33487-2846
- Netspeaks Gateway Exchange translates calls from PSTN to IP-based data networks,
and can send calls over any TCP/IP packet-switched network. It also offers real-time fax
switching, as well as H.323 fast connect capability for establishing point-to-point calls
with as little as one round-trip message exchange.
- The gateway provides toll-quality voice using the G.711, G.723.1, and G.729a codecs. It
may be configured with a T1/E1 interface to the PSTN or a PBX, and also supports primary
rate interface, MFC-R2, winkstart, loop start, and ground start.
- The Gateway Exchange features a 96-port capacity, as well as a route server for defining
call routing. Other features include support for ANI/DNIS for routing and accounting, DTMF
detection and generation, echo cancellation, and jitter buffer management.
eXchange switch (INX)
World Telecom Labs
150 East 52nd St.
New York, NY 10022
- The carrier-grade INX from World Telecom Labs provides a flexible telephony architecture
built on standard hardware. The switch enables toll-quality voice transport over TDM, IP,
and ATM switching, and may be deployed in any type of configuration.
- The INX is remotely manageable, and offers an SS7 module for interconnectivity with the
PSTN and transparent signaling over IP and ATM backbones. It also supports services like
prepaid calling cards, VPNs, callback, operator-assisted calls, and one-number services.
The INX features a payload switching module for frame building and intelligent
multiplexing of VoIP packets, which is based on the companys Network Optimization
- Features include a rackmount chassis, RAID controller, dual hot-swappable power
supplies, RAID alarms display, and a master/backup database. The switch offers voice
compression at 9.6 Kbps, and uses the standard G.729 and G.723 codecs.
MainStreetXpress 36100 Access Concentrator
Newbridge Networks Corporation
15036 Conference Center Dr.
Chantilly, VA 20151-3850
- This scalable solution from Newbridge Networks was designed for the service provider
market, and acts as the network collection point for digital and analog modem calls from
the PSTN, which are routed over a data network.
- The MainStreetXpress is available in chassis configurations with three, seven, or 11
slots, and includes high-density, multi-purpose DSP cards. It also includes hot-swappable
modules which allow input/output cards to be exchanged without service interruption.
- Other features include redundant DC power feeds or AC power converters, as well as two
high-performance control cards, which are included with the 11-slot chassis. The gateway
also performs authentication and accounting, access partitioning for assigning calls to a
virtual private network (VPN), and network management is enabled through SNMP and the
Virtual Port Service Manager (VPSM) software suite.
CallLogiX Voice/Fax Gateway
26 Avalon Dr.
Montville, NJ 07045
- The CallLogiX gateway provides H.323-compliant transmission of voice and fax over T1/E1
interfaces, and is geared toward carriers, service providers, and the enterprise market.
The gateway supports standard signaling protocols, and features high-density DM3/IP Link
voice boards from Dialogic Corporation (an Intel company).
- With scalability of up to 150 ports in a single rackmount chassis, the CallLogiX is
robust and versatile. It monitors QoS and adjusts call control, and can route calls from
an inbound port to a dialed number, or a predetermined outbound port.
- The gateway offers an easy GUI configuration, and remote management is enabled through
SNMP. Another feature is an alarm system, which is monitored through the Web-enabled
CallLogiX Gateway Monitor. The monitor receives alarm events from the digital interface
through an SNMP trap.
Alcatel 1000 Call Server
1000 Coit Road CHB
Plano, TX 75075
- This scalable platform architecture allows service providers to seamlessly transition
their circuit networks to packet configurations for voice and data connectivity. The
Alcatel 1000 Call Server manages all narrowband data and multimedia services separately,
although they may be accessed through media-layer gateways at the edge of the network.
- An independent platform centralizes call logic and simplifies service management, and
allows providers to establish points of presence in new service areas through easy
communication with other gateways, packet switches, and nodes.
- In addition to supporting multiple interfaces, the platform will interwork with
Alcatels service control point (SCP) platforms, as well as third-party SCPs. Other
call features include follow me, intelligent call transfer, mobility management, unified
messaging, location tracking, call filtering and programmed response/alerting, multimedia
multicast services, and Web-based provisioning.
Array Series 3000
Array Telecom Corp. (a Comdial Corporation company)
Herndon Corporate Center, Ste. 100
1145 Herndon Parkway
Herndon VA 22963
- Arrays Series 3000 VoIP gateways offer scalability from two to thousands of ports,
and include a built-in, multi-lingual IVR for customized support of multi-language voice
prompts. The series also offers superior voice quality through jitter buffer management
and built-in global routing software for selecting the most efficient transport route.
- The series comes an a PC running Windows NT, as well as specialized telephony hardware
devices. It also includes a suite of software components that may be configured for
specific connection capabilities. The series supports analog loop start, analog station
interface, T1 robbed bit signaling, and ISDN-PRI connections.
- Connection sizes range from two-line systems to multiple T1/E1 systems, and there are no
size limits on scalability The series can also be used as a full-service prepaid calling
platform and provides real-time billing, trunk-to-IP, and trunk-to-trunk switching.
IP Telephony (IPT) Solution
77 South Bedford St.
Burlington, MA 01803
- Ericssons solution offers a platform for enabling phone-to-phone, PC-to-phone,
PC-to-PC, and fax-to-fax services over an IP network. The system offers least-cost
routing, multiple IP network support, dynamic call routing, validated and unvalidated
traffic, error concealment, silence encoding, and echo cancellation.
- The IPT Solution also has powerful real-time billing features including RADIUS
authentication for subscribers, central call data record collection, an open billing
system interface, and itemized accounting. It offers IVR, multiple language and currency
support, and SNMP management for remote configuration.
- The platform can interface with E1 and T1 systems, and offers additional features
including quality of service control, validation of traffic before it arrives at the IPT
system, and a provision for unvalidated traffic to originate in any network. It also
supports Ericssons Phone Doubler and Phone Doubler Quick Call desktop applications.
Industrial CPU Systems, Inc.
111-D West Dyer Rd.
Santa Ana, CA 92707
- The high-performance iServer 6d from Industrial CPU Systems is a platform designed for
voice/data applications and services. The server can connect to the network backbone
through a dual redundant 10/100 network adapter, and offers SNMP complied remote Web and
LAN management, as well as remote maintenance capabilities.
- The server can host an optional T1/E1 connection and multi-port digital voice cards for
IVR applications. It offers a fiber channel host adapter and hot-swappable drives for fast
and reliable storage.
- Other features of the rack-mountable system include a dual 600 MHz Pentium III
processor, redundant hot-swap power supplies and multiple hot-swappable media options, and
high-capacity disk, CD, and DAT drives.
Faxport Virtual Fax Network (VFN)
LANSource Technologies, Inc.
21 Randolph Ave., 4th Floor
Toronto, ON Canada
- By sitting on existing gateways, LANSources VFN software suite offers least cost
routing, peering, provisioning, and billing modules for enterprise fax solutions. The
solutions back-office systems offer carrier-grade scalability for intelligent
routing, load balancing, service and pricing plans, and network management.
- Additional features include fail-safe redundancy, remote server configuration and
monitoring, server and user account provisioning, management and status reporting, traffic
tracking, fax call detail records, and customer care.
- The software can be installed on a Windows NT server, and can support standard fax
modems, intelligent fax devices, and other carrier-class fax systems. The platform also
supports T.37, RADIUS, SNMP, SMTP, HTTP, HTML, and SSL standards.