GM Canada September 2008 Sales Results
(Marketwire Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) OSHAWA, ONTARIO, October 1 / MARKET WIRE/ --
For September 2008, General Motors of Canada dealers delivered 31,053 units as the company moved to increase its inventories of smaller cars which remain in high demand.
"Consumers continued the trend of purchasing more fuel efficient small cars and crossovers in September," said Marc Comeau, GM of Canada's vice-president of sales, service, and marketing. "GM sells more cars than any other automaker in Canada and our inventory levels have improved this month as a result of our move to add a shift of production to meet the surge in demand for popular cars like the Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5."
Comeau added, "GM is well positioned to meet this shift in consumer preferences through the end of this year with the all new Chevrolet Aveo and Pontiac G3 Wave arriving in dealer showrooms this month and going forward 18 of our next 19 major launches will be cars and crossovers."
September Sales Highlights
- GMs small car line-up is performing well with combined sales for the Chevrolet Aveo and Pontiac Wave up a combined 5.5% calendar year to date and Chevrolet Cobalt/ and Pontiac G5 up a combined 7.3% for the same period.
- Pontiac Vibe continues the momentum from its launch, up 127.6% for the month
- Chevrolet Malibu sales remain strong, up 39.3% in September.
- Cadillac CTS, Motor Trend Car of the Year, posted gains of 11.5% for the month.
- GM's crossover utilities remain strong with the Buick Enclave up 36.1% for the month.
- Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra extended cab pick ups, with Active Fuel Management fuel saving technology, are up a combined 17.2%.
GENERAL MOTORS OF CANADA SALES
MONTH OF SEPTEMBER 2008
2008 2007 % CHG
TOTAL CARS 15,551 15,624 -0.5%
TOTAL TRUCKS 15,502 17,763 -12.7%
COMBINED VEHICLES 31,053 33,387 -7.0%
CALENDAR YEAR-TO-DATE: September 30th , 2008
2008 2007 % CHG
TOTAL CARS 145,818 149,760 -2.6%
TOTAL TRUCKS 141,690 169,353 -16.3%
COMBINED VEHICLES 287,508 319,113 -9.9%
General Motors of Canada (GMCL) is engineering and manufacturing advanced environmental technologies ranging from Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and hybrid systems to E85 biofuel and fuel cell vehicles - more than any other auto company right here in Canada. Headquartered in Oshawa Ontario, GMCL employs more than 15,000 people nationwide. GM of Canada manufactures vehicles, vehicle powertrains, and markets the full range of General Motors vehicles and related services through 732 dealerships and retailers across Canada. Vehicles sold through this network include Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Hummer, Saab and Cadillac.
Copyright ? 2008 Marketwire