5 things you should know before the 'texting while driving' ban kicks in [Dayton Daily News, Ohio]
(Dayton Daily News (OH) Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) Feb. 27--Ohio's new texting while driving ban fully kicks in Friday, ending a six month warning period. Those caught texting while driving can be cited.
Here are a few things you should know about the new law.
Click here to read -- "Fines for texting and driving start Friday"
1) The state law says -- It is illegal for drivers age 18 and older to use handheld electronic wireless communications devices to send, write or read text message while driving.
2) Penalty -- It is considered a minor misdemeanor. Adult drivers have to commit another violation before they can be ticketed for texting. Those found in violation can be fined up to $150.
3) The state law says -- It is illegal for those younger than age 18 to use any electronic wireless communications device while driving, sitting at a light or stuck in traffic.
4) What is included -- This means no texting; e-mailing or talking on your cell phone, Bluetooth, Bluetooth speakers, On-Star or any similar device.
Underage drivers can not use computers or tablets; play video games or use a GPS that is not voice-operated or hands-free device.
5) Penalty -- An officer can stop you for doing any of the above as it is considered primary offense.
A conviction of a first offense could cost you a $150 fine and a 60 day driver license suspension.
Additional violations are $300 and come with a one year license suspension.
The state allows exceptions for pre-programmed GPS, vehicles in a stationary position and outside a lane of travel, emergency calls to law enforcement, hospital, fire department, etc.
Click here to learn more from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
What do you think Will the ban work Is it strong enough to stop you from texting while driving
Contact this blogger at arobinson@DaytonDailyNews.com or Twitter.com/DDNSmartMouth
(c)2013 the Dayton Daily News (Dayton, Ohio)
Visit the Dayton Daily News (Dayton, Ohio) at www.daytondailynews.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]