Trial reset for man accused of kidnapping, sexually assaulting elderly woman in 2011
Jan 03, 2013 (The Gazette - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --
A kidnapping trial for a Cedar Rapids man accused of holding a woman for nearly 10 hours and sexually assaulting her in 2011 was reset last week to Jan. 14 in Linn County District Court.
The trial for William Roby, 51, charged with first-degree kidnapping, is expected to last three to four days, Assistant Linn County Attorney Jason Burns said Thursday.
Roby is accused of forcing a 62-year-old woman into his apartment May 15, 2011, holding her for nearly 10 hours and repeatedly sexually assaulted her, according to a search warrant. He also threatened to kill her and her cat if she didn't follow his orders, and to kill himself if police showed up.
Roby told The Gazette in June that he was innocent of the kidnapping and he never sexually assaulted the woman.
Roby was free on bond until last August, when his bond was revoked because he was charged in Webster County for violation of a protection order, assault causing serious injury and domestic abuse assault, for a incident involving his wife Aleta Roby, 47. Roby pleaded guilty last month to the two assault charges.
Aleta Roby told The Gazette that she wanted to be identified because she didn't want anybody else to be hurt by her husband. Aleta Roby said he assaulted her last August in their Fort Dodge home, causing her injuries to her left ear drum, fractured her left eye and broke her dentures. She had attempted to leave him in the past but he threatened her children.
___ (c)2013 The Gazette (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) Visit The Gazette (Cedar Rapids,
Iowa) at thegazette.com Distributed by MCT Information Services
[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]