Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' 2012's most-watched music video on Vevo
Dec 13, 2012 (Los Angeles Times - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --
Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe," that catchy pop song that dominated the airwaves this year -- and inspired countless parodies -- topped Vevo's list as the most-watched music video of 2012.
With a little help from her friend, Justin Bieber, the Canadian singer's song spent nine weeks at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 charts. Its official music video attracted more than 360 million views on Vevo, an online distributor of music videos.
It even edged out K-pop phenom Psy's viral hit, "Gangnam Style," which initially was released by a Korean production agency. Vevo wasn't able to offer the music video on its service until Universal Music Group secured the distribution rights.
On YouTube, the Korean rapper's infectious video passed Justin Beiber's "Baby" as most-watched video of all time on the service, logging 850 million views. Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" music video has attracted nearly 358 million on YouTube.
Several artists had multiple videos with spots on Vevo's top 10 -- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull and One Direction. The distributor's tally is based on its own online, mobile and tablet views, as well as through syndication partner sites such as AOL, Facebook, Yahoo Music and YouTube.
Vevo's ranking of the Top 10 Most Viewed Music Videos of 2012 are:
1. Carly Rae Jepsen -- "Call Me Maybe"
2. One Direction -- "What Makes You Beautiful"
3. Pitbull featuring Chris Brown -- "International Love"
4. Jennifer Lopez featuring Pitbull -- "Dance Again"
5. Justin Bieber -- "Boyfriend"
6. Lil Wayne featuring Bruno Mars -- "Mirror"
7. One Direction -- "One Thing"
8. LMFAO -- "Party Rock Anthem"
9. Jennifer Lopez featuring Pitbull -- "On the Floor"
10. Pitbull featuring Marc Anthony -- "Rain Over Me"
___ (c)2012 the Los Angeles Times Visit the Los Angeles Times at
www.latimes.com Distributed by MCT Information Services
[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]