Cisco Enables PT Telkom to Become a Wi-Fi Leader in Asia
(Targeted News Service Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) JAKARTA, Indonesia, Dec. 5 -- Cisco Systems issued the following news release:
Cisco is working closely with PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia Tbk (PT Telkom), Indonesia's largest information and communications provider, to enable the rapid deployment of 100,000 access points across Indonesia. This will be the largest deployment of Wi-Fi access points by a single service provider in Asia.
According to IDC, as Indonesia transforms itself into an economic leader, ICT will play a major role in boosting economic growth as the ubiquitous use of smartphones and tablets results in a high demand for mobile network access. Both licensed and unlicensed (Wi-Fi) small cells are seen as key to managing this rapidly increasing demand.
Over the last six months, PT Telkom has initiated the deployment of thousands of Wi-Fi access points across Indonesia as it prepares for mobile data traffic to double each year through at least 2016. The Cisco Visual Networking Index also predicts that mobile data traffic in Indonesia is expected to grow 32 times from 2011 to 2016, with an average per user consumption at 716 megabytes of mobile data traffic per month in 2016, a staggering 2,387 per cent increase from 30 megabytes per month in 2011.
Key Facts / Highlights
* As Indonesia's biggest telecommunication company, PT Telkom has 8.6 million fixed wire-line customers, 14.2 million fixed wireless customers and 107 million cellular customers.
* The Wi-Fi deployment will reinforce PT Telkom as a comprehensive service provider that supplies both fixed and mobile broadband services across Indonesia.
* Wi-Fi is being deployed to offload mobile data from the macro cellular network, as well as to offer more convenient mobile broadband services in malls, hotels, schools, hotspots and public areas.
* Cisco(R) Service Provider Wi-Fi is part of Cisco's Small Cell solution portfolio. It is a carrier-grade, end-to-end platform, built on Cisco's Next Generation Internet Architecture that can scale to support exponential traffic growth and millions of users with a mobile experience. Cisco Service Provider Wi-Fi is Passpoint certified, and incorporates Connected Mobile Experiences, providing a platform for unparalleled business innovation through location-based services.
* Badriyanto, Executive General Manager of the Wireless Broadband Division at PT Telkom
"Our initial target of deploying 100,000 Wi-Fi access points this year has been to offload risk of overpopulated and congested 3G data traffic in malls, airports, and other high-density areas. In addition, we are also preparing to enhance our broadband service portfolio to offer exciting new mobile broadband services which can only come from a true carrier-grade Wi-Fi network, a network we expect to scale out to 1 million Wi-Fi access points. PT Telkom is the first operator to build such a large Wi-Fi network in Indonesia, and we are confident that our collaboration with industry leaders like Cisco will position PT Telkom as the global leader in mobile broadband and Wi-Fi."
* Irving Tan, managing director for Cisco in ASEAN
"Indonesia is transforming the Asia region with its plans to grow the economy to compete on a global scale. The rise in mobility highlights the country's vision in using the network as a platform for transformation as industries embrace the next-generation small cell mobile Internet capabilities for business benefits. Our collaboration with PT Telkom is the foundation for getting Indonesia future-ready as we create an intelligent, connected Indonesia."
TNS C-PrabMal9 121208-mt93-4132645 61MarlizTagarum
(c) 2012 Targeted News Service
[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]