|[November 22, 2012]
Research and Markets: Liberia - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband
DUBLIN --(Business Wire)--
Dublin - Research
and Markets has announced the addition of the "Liberia
- Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband" report to their offering.
New International Fibre Access Has Not Yet Led To Cheap Broadband
Nine years into peace, following more than a decade of civil war which
destroyed much of its infrastructure, Liberia became a prime example of
an almost entirely wireless telecommunications market. Four GSM mobile
operators are competing for customers - LoneStar (majority owned by
South Africa's MTN (News - Alert)), Comium, Cellcom and LiberCell.
Internet services are available from a number of wireless ISPs and the
mobile networks using GPRS, EDGE and WiMAX (News - Alert) technology. The high cost and
limited bandwidth of existing satellite connections means that most
service offerings are still expensive and below broadband speed.
Dramatic improvements can be expected from the recent landing of the
first ever international fibre optic submarine cable in the country.
In the mobile sector, competition has led to some of the lowestcall
prices in Africa despite the expensive operating environment due to the
lack of basic infrastructure in the country. The harmonisation of the
disorderly licensing and spectrum allocation regime inherited from
previous governments has proven difficult. However, market penetration
has caught up with other markets in the region in recent years.
An attempt at privatising the dysfunctional fixed network operator, the
Liberia Telecommunications Corporation (now Libtelco) failed in 2005.
Since then, efforts to resuscitate the previously neglected incumbent
have continued successfully with a wireless 3G system based on CDMA
EV-DO technology enabling it to enter the mobile market as a fifth
player and to provide wireless broadband services. There are also plans
for a national fibre backbone network. These assets would create an
attractive opportunity to a strategic investor in a likely renewed
privatisation in the near future.
This annual report provides a comprehensive overview of trends and
developments in Liberia's
Subjects covered include:
- A telecommunications market almost entirely based on wireless
- Key statistics;
- Market and industry overviews;
- Government policies affecting the telecoms industry;
- Regulatory environment and structural reform;
- Market liberalisation;
- Telecoms operators: privatisation, acquisitions, IPOs, new licences;
- Major players (fixed, mobile and broadband);
- Infrastructure development;
- Mobile voice and data markets;
- Average Revenue per User;
- Convergence (News - Alert) (voice/data, fixed/wireless/mobile);
- Internet and broadband development and growth.
- Liberia Telecommunications Corporation (LTC Libtelco)
- MTN Liberia (LoneStar)
- Cellcom (News - Alert)
- West Africa Telecom (WAT)
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/xl98s4/liberia
[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]