TMCnet - World's Largest Communications and Technology Community



Lee's Summit man charged in shooting that sparked standoff
[November 19, 2012]

Lee's Summit man charged in shooting that sparked standoff

Nov 19, 2012 (The Kansas City Star - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- Jackson County authorities have charged a 65-year-old man in connection with a shooting Sunday outside a Lee's Summit residence that led to a four-hour police standoff.

Ronald L. Hall of Lee's Summit faces first-degree assault and armed criminal action charges. The victim was critically wounded and later suffered a stroke that likely will leave him with permanent brain damage and other injuries, according to court records.

Prosecutors have requested a $200,000 cash bond.

According to court records: Hall and several other men were drinking while watching the Kansas City Chiefs game on television at a residence in the 200 block of Northeast Orchard Avenue. At some point, playful banter and teasing between Hall and another man led to argument.

Hall allegedly shot the man in the front yard. A witness told police he heard a loud noise and saw the victim fall to the ground.

Hall ran back into the house before officers arrived and found two men in the front yard, standing over the victim trying to help him. Officers moved the victim behind a parked vehicle in the driveway for cover. They then carried the victim to paramedics a few blocks away.

Officers learned that Hall was still inside the residence with a 2-month-old infant and refused to come out. A witness had already taken a shotgun from Hall.

A witness said Hall had been drinking all day, mostly beer. The witness added that Hall had been "mean and ill-tempered," most of his life but particularly so over the last year, following the death of his mother. Hall was taking Methadone, Trazodone and an anti-psychotic medicine, court records stated.

Hall stayed inside the residence for several hours and did not respond to police efforts to contact him by phone or to shouts from an armored vehicle in the yard.

Police later sent a robot in to search after witnesses told police that an infant was inside the house. It located the child and a team of officers entered for the rescue.

During the standoff, streets for several blocks around the incident were closed off and police evacuated residents in nearby houses.

The robot, which was equipped with cameras and microphones, found Hall inside the house. At 8:30 p.m., Hall agreed to surrender and was taken into custody, police said.

To reach Glenn E. Rice, call 816-234-4341 or send email to ___ (c)2012 The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.) Visit The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.) at Distributed by MCT Information Services

[ Back To's Homepage ]

Technology Marketing Corporation

35 Nutmeg Drive Suite 340, Trumbull, Connecticut 06611 USA
Ph: 800-243-6002, 203-852-6800
Fx: 203-866-3326

General comments:
Comments about this site:


© 2017 Technology Marketing Corporation. All rights reserved | Privacy Policy