NXP Deploys NFC in Nexus 7
(Targeted News Service Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) EINDHOVEN, The Netherlands, June 27 -- NXP Semiconductors issued the following news release:
Today, NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) announced that the newly launched Nexus 7 will feature its PN65 NFC solution to provide an amazing mobile user experience. Featuring an NFC radio controller and an embedded Secure Element, the PN65 is validated and integrated on the latest release of Android(TM) 4.1, Jelly Bean. The tablet builds on the successful introduction of NFC features in Nexus-branded smartphones and innovations like Google Wallet enabled by NXP technology. Jelly Bean includes NXP's NFC open source software stack, making it easier for OEMs and application developers to bring NFC devices and services to market.
* Nexus 7 features full NFC potential based on a mature and proven software stack. This software has already been deployed on many devices including two NFC-enabled Google Nexus smartphones.
* NXP's best-in-class PN65 supports full NFC functionality enabling use cases and applications such as Android Beam and Bluetooth pairing. Mobile users can share contact information, web pages, videos, and directions just by tapping two NFC-enabled devices together.
* With the tablet, Google continues to extend its market leadership by opening NFC to developers to create innovative applications for tablets.
* The PN65 features an embedded Secure Element for mobile transactions such as payments, transportation and ticketing, physical access and other contactless applications. The same underlying security technology is used for bank cards and electronic passports around the world.
* NXP's Secure Element has been successfully field proven and deployed in numerous commercial installations, further underscoring the company's leadership in Identification, including contactless and secure applications such as payments, eGovernment, transportation, access, anti-counterfeit, cyber-security and readers.
"After NXP's successes with Nexus devices like Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and smartphones in general, we are proud to also be the NFC technology partner for Google's first NFC-enabled tablet," said Ruediger Stroh, executive vice president and general manager, Identification business, NXP Semiconductors. "NXP is seeing more mobile devices including tablets integrating secure NFC technology to create richer user experiences and convenient mobile transactions. As an integral part of revolutionary products like the Google Nexus Tablet, NXP is continuing to drive broader consumer adoption of NFC."
NFC is a market-proven, standardized technology co-invented by NXP and Sony in 2002. NXP is at the center of this ecosystem, fuelling its development by partnering with almost all major handset manufacturers, mobile OS providers and applications developers. NXP is the No. 1 supplier to the Identification market globally, and leverages its leadership in contactless and security technologies to provide complete Mobile Transactions solutions: NFC controllers, Secure Elements in all form factors, NFC tags and infrastructure reader ICs. Currently OEMs have selected NXP's NFC technology for more than 130 mobile devices.
* NXP NFC information website (http://www.nxp.com/campaigns/nfc/)
* Google Nexus 7 information website (http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7)
(c) 2012 Targeted News Service
[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]