TMCnet News

Cellphone ban in vehicles comes into effect in New Zealand
[October 31, 2009]

Cellphone ban in vehicles comes into effect in New Zealand


WELLINGTON, Oct 31, 2009 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- It is an offence for motorists to use a hand-held cellphone while driving in New Zealand from Sunday morning.

The ban on making or receiving calls from a cellphone, texting and e-mailing is one of a raft of new road rules under the Land Transport (Road User) Amendment Rule 2009 which came into effect from Sunday, local media reported.

Motorists can make calls legally if they have a fully voice activated phone, or the device is secured in a fixed mounting.

Genuine emergency calls are also allowed.

Those caught breaking the law can be given an 80 NZ dollars (59 U.S. dollars) infringement ticket and 20 demerit points.

New Zealand Transport Minister Steven Joyce said that the cellphone ban had been needed for some time and New Zealand's roads would be much safer for it. He said most people were aware of the new rule, so there was no excuse for breaches.

Police are also enforcing new drug-driving rules from Sunday, with compulsory tests on motorists suspected of being under the influence of drugs, according to Radio New Zealand.

Among other key changes, motorcyclists and moped riders have to use headlamps or daytime running lamps during daylight hours in order to increase their visibility to other road users.


The requirement applies to riders of all mopeds or motorcycles made after Jan. 1, 1980.

Drivers who cruise along in bus lanes on the pretext of turning left or accessing a park will also be in trouble.

The new rule will allow drivers to use special vehicle lanes only when they are less than 50 meters from where they will turn off or park. They must complete the manoeuvre in the minimum length of lane necessary.

Meanwhile, debate is still raging over whether the new law will reduce the accident rate.

[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]