BRIEF: Bloomington Transit receives bomb threat over the phone; service delayed this morning
Jan 29, 2013 (Herald-Times - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --
Bloomington police are investigating a report from the Bloomington Transit Authority that they received a bomb threat over the phone Tuesday morning.
"There does not appear to be an actual bomb," Bloomington police Lt. Steve Kellams said.
Police are investigating the phone call the Bloomington Transit Authority received about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Police sent a detective to BTA's facility at 130 W. Grimes Lane.
"As far as I know, they are back to business as usual," Kellams said of the buses.
Lou May, general manager of Bloomington Transit, said service was delayed for about 30 minutes while drivers pulled to the side, asked riders to get off the bus and scanned the aisle and seats for anything suspicious.
Bloomington Transit had been sending updates by Twitter, telling riders that all routes were running behind about 15 minutes and may be late because of an emergency.
Ben Ruch, a student who stepped on to a bus at 10th Street and College Avenue, said there was little panic when his driver pulled to the side of the road. Riders were not immediately aware why they were being asked to get off the bus.
"People were surprised, but no one seemed nervous," Ruch said. "In about 10 to 15 minutes, we were back on the same bus."
___ (c)2013 the Herald-Times (Bloomington, Ind.) Visit the Herald-Times
(Bloomington, Ind.) at www.heraldtimesonline.com Distributed by MCT Information
[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]