IIIT-Hyderabad Announces New Admission Process
HYDERABAD, India, February 28, 2018 /PRNewswire/ --
- UGEE (undergraduate engineering entrance examination) is required for all Dual Degree (B.Tech + MS Research) admissions
- Special Channel of Admission for CBSE-UDAAN scheme students
- JEE (Main) will continue to be the basis for 4-year B.Tech programme
IIIT-Hyderabad has introduced significant changes to its undergraduate admission process to ensure students with research aptitude are selected for the dual degree programmes and a special channel is opened for students in the CBSE UDAAN scheme.
Key changes are
- The extension of UGEE (undergraduate engineering entrance examination) mode of admission to all dual degree programs (ECD, CSD, CND and CLD) followed by an interview, both conducted by IIIT-H
- Introduction of a Special Channel of Admission (SPEC) for B.Tech (ECE/CSE) programmes. This is open to students who have completed the equivalent of Class 12, and have qualified for the UDAAN scheme of CBSE or are in an integrated six-year 12th + B.Tech program after 10th class
Admission for Olympiad mode continues as in previous years. They have to apply via UGEE. Selection for training in Informatics, Science, Mathematics and Linguistics to represent India in the International Olympiads during class 11 and/or 12 is required under this mode
- Admissions to 4-year B.Tech programs in ECE and CSE will continue to be through JEE Mains as usual
There is also a Lateral Entry option for ECD and CSD dual degree programmes under which students can shift to IIIT-Hyderabad after two years in another engineering college, and can get both B.Tech and MS by Research degrees in another four years. This is a great program for those interested in research-based education.
Speaking on changes in the admission process, Prof Jayanthi Sivaswamy, Dean, Academics, IIIT-Hyderabad, said, "The rationale behind this new admission process was to attract students with greater research aptitude and interest, and to identify students with extraordinary talent or background. The institute will be providing additional need-based financial assistance this year."
Deadline for applications is 15 March, 2018.
For more details, visit https://www.iiit.ac.in/admissions/undergraduate/.
The International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad (IIIT-H) is an autonomous research university founded in 1998 that focuses on the core areas of Information Technology, such as Computer Science, Electronics and Communications, and their applications in other domains through inter-disciplinary research with great social impact. Some of its research domains include Visual Information Technologies, Human Language Technologies, Data Engineering, VLSI and Embedded Systems, Computer Architecture, Wireless Communications, Algorithms and Information Security, Robotics, Building Science, Earthquake Engineering, Computational Natural Sciences and Bioinformatics, IT in Agriculture and e-Governance.