TMCnet - World's Largest Communications and Technology Community



Ex-cop found guilty of perjury in funeral procession confrontation case
[January 18, 2013]

Ex-cop found guilty of perjury in funeral procession confrontation case

Jan 18, 2013 (Chicago Tribune - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- A former Chicago police officer was found guilty today of committing perjury when she testified in a battery trial more than two years ago, according to the Cook County state's attorney's office.

Sylshina London, a former Gresham District officer, had testified about a confrontation she said she had when she tried to drive around a funeral procession in March 2010 as she went to work. Cook County Criminal Court Judge Joseph Claps this morning found her guilty of perjury, for which she could get up to 5 years in prison, said state's attorney's spokeswoman Lisa Gordon.

London had accused a motorist, Debra Green, of hitting her in the face with a glass bottle and several other individuals of threatening to physically harm her after London tried to drive around the funeral procession on 79th Street near Vincennes Avenue.

In response to the alleged confrontation, London, at the time a 9-year police veteran, called a "10-1" into Chicago police dispatch -- a serious alert that she was in immediate need of assistance.

Green was found guilty in the case, but her conviction was vacated after the Independent Police Review Authority reviewed police camera video that "proved London's claims were false," according to a release from the state's attorney's office.

In December, prosecutors showed video in court that appeared to show London's car window was closed at the time of the incident, making it impossible for a bottle to hit her.

London testified in her current trial that there were several separate confrontations and she was hit with the bottle before the cars were in view of the camera. Under cross-examination, when asked if she told the truth during Green's trial, London burst into tears and sobbed, "Yes!" Green was convicted of battery at trial in September 2010 based on London's original testimony, while three others charged with misdemeanor assault were acquitted. A fourth defendant charged with assault died while awaiting trial. A federal lawsuit filed by Green and the others against London and the city is pending.

London has since resigned from the police department and lives in North Carolina, according to court records. Twitter: @ChicagoBreaking ___ (c)2013 the Chicago Tribune Visit the Chicago Tribune at Distributed by MCT Information Services

[ Back To's Homepage ]

Technology Marketing Corporation

35 Nutmeg Drive Suite 340, Trumbull, Connecticut 06611 USA
Ph: 800-243-6002, 203-852-6800
Fx: 203-866-3326

General comments:
Comments about this site:


© 2018 Technology Marketing Corporation. All rights reserved | Privacy Policy