Appliance Deployment Featured Article
Will Deploying an Application on an Appliance Benefit Your Business?
- OS Hardening and Packaging – Appliances shipped on open servers allow access to the application and increase the possibility of modifications that may cause the appliance to fail. An appliance that is locked down is the best way to guard against appliance failure. OS hardening can be done for both Linux and Windows environments.
- Automated Element Management – Routine auditing of the operational condition of core appliance elements, including CPUs, power supplies and disk drives can help ensure proper performance. Look for an appliance deployment that can “phone home” and automatically generate a maintenance request in the event of hardware or software malfunctions, crashes, runtime errors and system boot failure.
- Automated Image Backup – An appliance should be able to manage its software application as a holistic image and not just a collection of software parts. By doing so, should the appliance fail, it can be rolled back to a complete pre-failure image and quickly restored for proper operation.
- Automated Updating – Appliances that successfully automate the process and management of delivering updates, patches and other upgrades to boxes deployed in the field, including the operating system and all related applications, are critical to successful software deployments. Combined with automated element management and automated image backup, automated updating can help ensure appliances are always running at peak performance.
- Global Supply Chain – Ensure that your vendor can provide on-site support services and replace your hardware if problems arise. Look for a vendor with an efficient global supply chain, tech support services and the ability to deliver replacement products in a timely and efficient manner.
TMCnet publishes expert commentary on various telecommunications, IT, call center, CRM and other technology-related topics. Are you an expert in one of these fields, and interested in having your perspective published on a site that gets several million unique visitors each month? Get in touch.
Edited by Stefania Viscusi