Call Center Management Feature Article
January 22, 2009
Flexible Call Center Scheduling Optimizes Performance
By Susan J. Campbell, TMCnet Contributing Editor
Beyond the consistently changing call volumes within the call center, managers must also be able to juggle start time, end time, agent breaks, lunches, requests for days off, vacations, absences due to training, coaching and more. With so much to juggle in the basic scheduling of the call center, many managers are seeking ways to move from fixed shifts to implement flexible shifts. The main challenge in such an initiative is the lack of the necessary tools to make this move.
In an attempt to move the call center to more flexible scheduling, some managers have implemented spreadsheet and other manual methods. Such an approach can help to begin to address the issue, but will be time and labor intensive. In addition, when mass changes are handed down from upper levels – a new campaign that will require intensive training – changes throughout the schedule are cumbersome and leave too much room for error.
A flexible shift model is often exactly what the call center needs and Monet Software can deliver the solution to make this possible. When implementing a flexible scheduling model with help from Monet Software, the agent level of the call center is better aligned with actual or forecasted call volumes.
Such a solution also helps the center to deliver higher levels of service by reducing wait times and work stress. It can also lower costs by reducing the amount of time an agent is idle. When a call center manager can implement a solution that automates a time consuming process and streamlines operations, the overall performance of the call center improves.
Susan J. Campbell is a contributing editor for TMCnet and has also written for eastbiz.com. To read more of Susan’s articles, please visit her columnist page.
Edited by Michelle Robart
Call Center Management Resources
- NEW-The Human Services Agency of San Francisco Improves Scheduling and Transparency with Monet Software
- NEW-Cost and Benefit Comparison: Cloud vs. Premise vs. Hosted
- Bayview Loan Servicing Boosts Efficiency of Staffing/Scheduling with Monet Software
- GECU Increases Productivity and Service Levels with Monet Software
- Call Center Scheduling, Forecasting & Adherence
- Call Center Supervisor Collaboration
- Call Recording
- Call Center Quality Management & Monitoring
- Performance Management & Agent Analytics