TMCnet - World's Largest Communications and Technology Community



Social Security Q&A: Help for people with disabilities
[December 10, 2012]

Social Security Q&A: Help for people with disabilities

Dec 10, 2012 (McClatchy-Tribune News Service - McClatchy-Tribune News Service via COMTEX) -- Question: Do disabled children qualify for disability benefits Answer: There are two Social Security disability programs that provide benefits for disabled children. Under the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, a child from birth to age 18 may receive monthly payments based on disability or blindness if: _The child has an impairment or combination of impairments that meets the definition of disability for children; and _The income and resources of the parents and the child are within the allowed limits.

Under Social Security, an adult child (a person age 18 or older) may receive monthly benefits based on disability or blindness if: _The adult child has an impairment or combination of impairments that meet the definition of disability for adults; _The disability began before age 22; and _A parent of the adult child worked long enough to be insured under Social Security and is receiving retirement or disability benefits, or is deceased.

Under both of these programs, the child must not be doing any substantial work. The child also must have a medical condition that is expected to last at least one year or result in death. Learn more at

___ Q: Does Social Security provide special services or information for people who are blind or visually impaired A: Yes. Social Security offers a number of services and products specifically designed for people who are blind or visually impaired. For example, we make all our publications available in multiple formats including Braille, audio cassette tapes, compact disks or enlarged print. Also, most of our publications are available online in audio format.

To get any of these products in alternative formats, contact us by: Going online to; Calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY, 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday; Contacting your local Social Security office; Contacting your U.S. Embassy or Consulate, if you live outside the United States; or Mailing, calling, or faxing your request to: Social Security Administration, Braille Services Branch 6401 Security Boulevard, L1141 West Low Rise Baltimore, Md. 21235 Phone: 410-965-6414 or 410-965-6407 (TTY, 1-800-325-0778) Fax: 410-965-6413 ___ (This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213.) ___ (C)2012 McClatchy-Tribune News Service Distributed by MCT Information Services

[ Back To's Homepage ]

Technology Marketing Corporation

35 Nutmeg Drive Suite 340, Trumbull, Connecticut 06611 USA
Ph: 800-243-6002, 203-852-6800
Fx: 203-866-3326

General comments:
Comments about this site:


© 2018 Technology Marketing Corporation. All rights reserved | Privacy Policy