ISA Reveals "Award of Distinction" Winners for 2014
(PR Web Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (August 2014) (PRWEB) August 03, 2014
The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), the source for tree research, education and proper tree care, has announced nine winners in the 2014 Awards of Distinction, sponsored by Bartlett Tree Experts.
The Awards of Distinction were presented in a special ceremony on Sunday, August 3rd, at the 90th annual ISA International Conference and Trade Show, held August 2nd – 6th in Milwaukee. The winners include:
• Dr. Kim Coder -- Award of Merit (Athens, Georgia)
• Michael Dirr -- R.W. Harris Author's Citation (Watkinsville, Georgia)
• Dr. Alessio Fini -- Early-Career Scientist Award (Sesto Fiorentino, Italy)
• Dr. C.Y. Jim -- L.C. Chadwick Award for Arboricultural Research (Hong Kong)
• Dr. Brian Kane -- Alex. L. Shigo Award for Excellence in Arboricultural Education (Amherst, Massachusetts)
• Dr. Cathie Lavis -- Alex. L. Shigo Award for Excellence in Arboricultural Education (Topeka, Kansas)
• Scott Prophett -- Award of Achievement (Loganville, Georgia)
• Bruce Smith -- Millard F. Blair Exceptional Contribution to Practical Arboriculture Award (Sarasota, Florida)
• Jerri Moorman -- Honorary Life Membership (Champaign, Illinois) "This year's winners produce an impressive list of accomplishments," said Mark Roberts, ISA President. "They are dedicating their lives to expanding knowledge and supporting educational initiatives in our ever-changing profession of arboriculture." Some of the achievements of this elite group include:
• Concentrates on improving the quality of life for trees and the people who care for them through education. Prolific author who has written more than 500 technical articles in addition to being an accomplished global speaker and trainer. (Coder)
• Considered a top authority on woody plants, publishing more than 300 scientific and popular articles. His Manual of Woody Landscape Plants is a widely-used industry resource and has sold more than a quarter-million copies. (Dirr)
• Contributes an exceptional knowledge of tree physiology and experimental research to the international community, publishing articles on tree physiology and maintenance in an Italian technical journal. (Fini)
• Inspires students and professionals in Asia and around the world to consider a career in arboriculture. Recognized as a cornerstone in the growing research community, with a focus on the nature-in-city domain, studying trees in Chinese cities to determine the influence of urban society (Jim)
• Invites students to participate in tree research, supports them in tree climbing competitions and guides them to be skilled future workers and business owners in arboriculture. (Kane)
• Encourages students to consider the importance of tree care in an urban environment. Led a campaign to establish Kansas State University in Manhattan as a Tree Campus USA. (Lavis)
• Trains arborists from around the world through North American Training Solutions on all aspects of practical arboriculture, best practices, and fostering a culture of safety on the job. (Prophett)
• Founding instructor of North American Training Solutions and helped establish tree climbing championships in Brazil. Devoted to fellow professionals and known to give away gear if an arborist was using faulty equipment. (Smith)
• Played a major role in growing ISA from 2,000 members to more than 20,000 today. Knowledge of ISA history, dedication to the organization and strong relationships with leaders and members positively influenced and shaped the overall development of the society. (Moorman)
Robert Bartlett Jr., chairman and CEO of Bartlett Tree Experts added, "As the tree care industry continues to change and grow, we need individuals like these to help lead the way through scientific study, research, and dedicated work in training and education. We are so proud to support their efforts by partnering with ISA in sponsorship of the Awards."
ISA, an organization of more than 20,000 members worldwide, has been honoring members and industry professionals with the Awards of Distinction since 1963. This year's categories recognize candidates in such areas as research, education, and advancing the best practices of proper tree care in the industry. The winners are selected by the ISA Awards Committee, a diverse group of experts in arboriculture including university professors, retired arborists, owners of tree care companies, and forestry managers, and approved by ISA's Board of Directors.
The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), headquartered in Champaign, Ill., U.S., is a nonprofit organization supporting tree care research and education around the world. To promote the importance of arboriculture, ISA manages the newly re-launched consumer education web site, http://www.treesaregood.org, which fulfills the association's mission to help educate the public about the importance and value of proper tree care. Also, as part of ISA's dedication to the care and preservation of shade and ornamental trees, it offers the only internationally-recognized certification program in the industry. For more information on ISA and Certified Arborists, visit http://www.isa-arbor.com.
ABOUT BARTLETT TREE EXPERTS
The F.A. Bartlett Tree Expert Company was founded in 1907 by Francis A. Bartlett and is the world's leading scientific tree and shrub care company. The organization's current chairman, Robert A. Bartlett Jr., represents the third generation of Bartlett family management. Bartlett has locations in 27 U.S. states, Canada, Ireland, and Great Britain. Services include pruning, insect and disease management, fertilization and soil care, cabling and bracing, tree lightning protection systems, and tree and stump removal. Its corporate offices are located in Stamford, Connecticut. To find out more, visit the company's web site at http://www.bartlett.com or call 1-877-BARTLETT (227-8538).
Editor's Note: Photos are available upon request. To arrange interviews, contact Julie Gaier at 262-786-5970 or julie(at)trg-marketing(dot)com.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/08/prweb12063728.htm
(c) 2014 PRWEB.COM Newswire
[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]