More Than 2.2 Million Downloads For National Rail Enquiries App. Updates To App Set To Consolidate 2012 Successes.
(PR Web Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) (PRWEB UK) 11 December 2012
More than 2 million people have installed the National Rail Enquiries (NRE) complimentary smartphone app since its May 2012 launch, making it one of the most popular travel apps in the UK.
NRE is the leading source of train travel information in the UK; its app for iPhone and Android operating systems provides passengers with the latest real-time information about train journeys through an intuitive user interface.
The app offers passengers details on arrivals and departures, a real-time journey planner, live progress reports and push notifications. It uses geolocation technology so passengers can quickly find the best way home. A helpful ‘wake-me-up’ alarm alerts passengers approaching their final destinations.
Updates to the app in December 2012 now offer customers further information. The app now gives
• line-of-route alerting, a benefit to customers who travel frequently: they can now set an alert for notifications of issues on the route in the timeband they travel in
• “get me home” functionality, using postcodes if customers are unsure of which station and line to use.
These new features complement the app’s ability to provide passengers with information on arrivals and departures, a real-time journey planner, live progress reports and push notifications.
Chris Scoggins, Chief Executive of NRE, said: “These excellent new updates to our app give customers an even better service.
“Earlier this summer, it was clear that NRE’s app had proved a resounding hit with passengers. We developed and released the app in May 2012 as a response to customers’ needs and requests – and now this December we have gone one step further.”
Chris Scoggins continued: “We always seek feedback and will continue to develop our services to provide passengers with innovative tools to access real time information about rail travel in the UK.
“Our app has proved massively popular with passengers. We released the app in May as a response to customers’ needs and requests. By making a free version available we have made it easier for more passengers to access detailed, real-time train information while on the move.”
Chris Scoggins continued: “More than two million people have downloaded the app during its first six months. This demonstrates we are giving customers the information they need, in the way they want it.
“We are always seeking feedback from our customers and will continue to develop our services to provide passengers with innovative tools to access real time information about rail travel in the UK.”
Smartphones have opened-up new possibilities for providing people with live information wherever they are. In addition to the app, National Rail Enquiries also provides passengers with real-time information through its mobile website and live updates through its many Twitter feeds as well as SMS services.
The National Rail Enquiries app is free and can be downloaded now from the Apple App Store and Google Play; an advert-free upgrade is also available, at £4.99.
Features at a glance:
• real-time journey planner
• live departure board
• information about service disruptions
• journeys can be planned without an internet connection
• “wake-me-up alarm” alerts passengers of their final destinations
• shows journeys to/from Docklands Light Railway and London Underground (Zone One stations)
• the tools are integrated and draw on real-time information about train departures
• free to download, with the option of an in-app upgrade to ad-free version priced at £4.99
• developed for Apple iPhone and Google Android operating systems.
Notes to editors
• the ad-display on the free version and the £4.99 charge for the in-app upgrade to the ad-free version contributes towards the costs National Rail Enquiries incurs in collecting and processing the real-time running data and the costs of developing and maintaining the Darwin real time system
• NRE has recently developed a TV app for Samsung, LG and Phillips TVs
• NRE is owned and funded by the passenger train operating companies and is one of the ATOC family of companies
• the app can be downloaded from the App Store by following the link http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/national-rail-enquiries/id519094154 mt=8
• the app can be downloaded from Google Play by following the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details id=uk.co.nationalrail.google
For more information about the National Rail Enquiries app please contact PR agency acting for National Rail Enquiries, Adams Creative: Jack Ozanne, Karen Danson or Jon Lane on 0203 4163 214 pr(at)adamscreative(dot)co(dot)uk
For all enquiries about the Association of Train Operating Companies, please contact the ATOC press team on 0207 841 8020 /http://www.atoc.org/media-centre
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/12/prweb10222706.htm
(c) 2012 PRWEB.COM Newswire
[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]