Telecom operator Mfone announces insolvency after 2-decade operations in Cambodia
PHNOM PENH, Jan 11, 2013 (Xinhua via COMTEX) --
telecommunication operator Mfone, part of the Thaicom Group,
announced insolvency and migrated all its existing subscribers
onto the Mobitel network as a consequence of the on-going
financial difficulties, according to the firm's press release on
"After careful consideration and keeping the interests of it
customers at the forefront, Mfone had chosen Mobitel as the best
option for its customers to migrate to given Mobitel's strength as
the best quality network provider and leading brand," Mfone said
in the press release.
An agreement was signed on Friday between Mfone and Mobitel
which stipulates that Mobitel will immediately provide national
roaming services in the kingdom to all Mfone subscribers for a
period of 60 days starting Jan. 14, 2013 so that Mfone subscribers
will not experience any interruption in accessing services, it
In parallel, both companies will work together to migrate
Mfone' s subscribers to the Mobitel network, it said, adding that
Mfone subscribers will be given free Mobitel SIM cards to enable
them to migrate to the Mobitel network and Mfone customers will
keep their existing numbers and prefix.
Mobitel is the kingdom's largest mobile phone operator, which
is owned by a Cambodian influential tycoon Kith Meng.
With the insolvency of Mfone, it will bring down the number of
mobile phone operators in the kingdom to six.
Last month, Hello Axiata Company Limited and Smart Mobile
announced to merge their operations under the brand name Smart
Hello Axiata Company Limited's Chief Executive Officer Simon
Perkins said at that time that the merger was due to many
operators in the kingdom, expressing hope that through
consolidations, it will come down to three to five operators.
[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]