SUBSCRIBE TO TMCnet
TMCnet - World's Largest Communications and Technology Community

TMCnet FEATURE

TMCNET eNEWSLETTER SIGNUP

November 27, 2012

Smartphones Playing Larger Role in Business World

By Oliver VanDervoort, Contributing Writer

Back in the day, when your boss issued you a company phone it meant that you had finally made it. It meant you were trusted enough to have access to their information and their property outside the office.

Then came the smartphone, and the subsequent Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) explosion. Companies decided that issuing specific phones only to be used for business simply weren’t needed anymore. With smartphones and tablets, the business world as a whole has changed quite drastically.

One industry analyst, iMomentous, recently put together a report that seeks to measure just how the increased use of mobile devices has affected the business world.

The report, "Smart Phones in the Workplace: The Impact of Mobile Technology on Workplace Communications,” displays a survey that was taken by iMomentous that shows how employees are using their smartphones and mobile devices to communicate with other workers as well as clients and their bosses. 

Among the items the report found is that the adoption for mobile devices is continuing to accelerate. Sales of mobile devices among executives actually outpaced sales of computers for the first time.


Image via Shutterstock

"Our latest research shows that more people rely on smart phones to communicate in the workplace, and organizations must adapt their communication and engagement strategies to account for this new reality," said Ed Newman, vice president of Strategy for iMomentous. "This trend is also driving the adoption of bring-your-own-device policies, which allow companies to leverage the productivity gains of mobile technology, without the need to provide and pay for these devices."

Of those surveyed, a huge majority (94 percent) of workers say they use their smartphones for both work and play. The other 6 percent use their smartphones for personal use only and none of the respondents said they use their smartphone for work only. Of those who responded to the survey, only 10 percent say they’re in front of a computer all day, thanks to their smartphones.

E-mail is also becoming a service more frequently handled on a smartphone or mobile device. Thirty percent said they primarily use their mobile devices to read e-mails. Ninety-six percent say they access email from time to time with their phones.

Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO Miami 2013, Jan 29- Feb. 1 in Miami, Florida.  Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO (News - Alert). Follow us on Twitter.




Edited by Braden Becker
» More TMCnet Feature Articles

Comments powered by Disqus

LATEST TMCNET ARTICLES

» More TMCnet Feature Articles




LATEST VIDEOS

DOWNLOAD CENTER

UPCOMING WEBINARS

MOST POPULAR STORIES





Technology Marketing Corporation

800 Connecticut Ave, 1st Floor East, Norwalk, CT 06854 USA
Ph: 800-243-6002, 203-852-6800
Fx: 203-866-3326

General comments: tmc@tmcnet.com.
Comments about this site: webmaster@tmcnet.com.

STAY CURRENT YOUR WAY

© 2014 Technology Marketing Corporation. All rights reserved.