September 16, 2010
ITEXPO West 2010 Speaker: Complete Communication System with No Startup Costs
By Susan J. Campbell, TMCnet Contributing Editor
A quick look around the communications space today and you’ll notice a number of different trends. The challenge is to determine the most significant trend and what it means for the overall industry. According to Deven Verma, the Director of OwnPages, that trend is communication in the cloud. Verma took part in a TMCnet interview in anticipation of the upcoming ITEXPO West 2010 event. When asked about the product or service the market needs the most, Verma pointed to mass personalized communications.
Verma highlighted that OwnPages is not yet at the point of leveraging social media and widespread HD codecs will not be widely deployed in 2011. As for mobile video chat or conferencing, Verma doesn’t believe there is much consumer demand for it. When asked which wireless operating system will see the greatest success over the next three years, Verma noted the winner will depend on how success is measured. As for wireless completely replacing wired, Verma believes this is unlikely.
As for the impact of cloud-based services on the business, Verma noted it was reworked completely. And, in regards to net neutrality, Verma argues the net should be neutral. At this year’s ITEXPO West event, Verma will demonstrate how OwnPages uses a hybrid cloud/onsite model to set up an entire communication system in less than a minute with no startup costs. As to the one technology development to have the greatest impact in 2011, Verma pointed to iPhone (News - Alert) 4 backgrounding.
The entire conversation follows:
1. What is the most significant trend in communications today? Why?
2. What is the one product or service the market is most in need of?
3. How is your company leveraging the growth of social media to enhance your own business?
4. Nearly every phone manufacturer is now incorporating support for wideband codecs. Will we finally see widespread HD voice deployments in 2011?
5. What are your thoughts on the viability of mobile video chat or conferencing?
6. Which wireless operating system (Android (News - Alert), iOS4, Microsoft, etc.) will see the greatest success over the next three years? Why?
7. Some have suggested wireless networking will soon replace wired networks in the enterprise. Do you agree?
8. What impact has the growth of cloud-based services had on your business?
10. You are exhibiting at ITEXPO West 2010. What is the most exciting thing attendees will see at your booth?
11. What is the one technology development that will have the greatest impact in 2011?
To find out more about Deven Verma and OwnPages, visit the company at ITEXPO West 2010. To be held Oct. 4 to 6 in Los Angeles, ITEXPO is the world’s premier IP communications event. Don’t wait. Register now.
Susan J. Campbell is a contributing editor for TMCnet and has also written for eastbiz.com. To read more of Susan’s articles, please visit her columnist page.
Edited by Beecher Tuttle