New Android App from 8x8 Offers Comprehensive Unified Communications Solution for BYOD Workplace
September 19, 2013
By Joe Rizzo
, TMCnet Contributing Writer
8x8 (News - Alert) Inc. is a provider of cloud-based unified communications solutions, including voice, video and mobile solutions for small to medium-sized business and distributed enterprise customers. It is considered one of the largest Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service providers in the country.
8x8 unveiled a new version of of its Virtual Office mobile PBX solution for Android (News - Alert) smartphones and tablets. The latest version features added unified communications capabilities that include video calling over 3G/4G and Wi-Fi.
Virtual Office Mobile 4.0 is available as of today. 8x8’s cloud-based Virtual Office Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) suite now extends its voice, video and PBX (News - Alert) advantages to Android devices.
More companies are creating bring your own device (BYOD) policies and allowing their employees to work using their smartphones and tablets. This makes 8x8’s Virtual Office Mobile 4.0 ideal for these companies. Virtual Office Mobile provides a single unified communications solution that works across the business world’s most widely used mobile devices. A version is also available for the iPhone (News - Alert) and iPad.
Some of the comments made show that Virtual Office Mobile has met the needs of companies wanting to move away from antiquated office phone systems. With the proliferation of BYOD, more work is being conducted outside the office, but at the same time, having an office presence is important.
Cogentic president, Brian Flores, said “We initially turned to 8x8 when we needed help moving away from our outdated and costly phone system, and we’ve been nothing but impressed so far. Working with 8x8 means no more fax machine or hardware maintenance costs, no more service calls and no more PBX system maintenance. Virtual Office Mobile 4.0 allows our employees to bring the voice, video and PBX benefits of 8x8’s cloud-based Virtual Office suite to their Android devices. Thanks to 8x8, our team can be mobile yet still be connected to voice, fax and voicemails.”
Similar comments were made by chairman and CTO Bryan Martin when he said, “8x8’s Virtual Office Mobile apps for Android and iOS devices offer businesses the most secure and complete cloud PBX and unified communications capabilities available today for mobile devices. As the BYOD phenomenon continues to grow in popularity, it’s services like Virtual Office Mobile that will enable businesses to fully embrace and benefit from this dramatic transition in the workplace.”
Some of the benefits listed for Virtual Office Mobile for Android are:
- Take their office extensions anywhere, maximizing productivity and responsiveness to customers and business partners
- Conduct voice, video, and conference calls over 4G and Wi-Fi. When travelling internationally, users can make and receive calls from their 8x8 U.S. phone number over Wi-Fi to avoid costly roaming charges
- Display all voice mails in a scrollable list, allowing users to review and delete messages in any order
- Check the status of co-workers (available, busy/on a call, offline) and send instant messages
- View and manage incoming and sent faxes
- Record calls on demand, freeing users to focus on the conversation rather than taking notes
- Park a call and pick it up on another business phone
- Access PBX features such as call transfer, conference bridging and 4-digit extension dialing from the corporate directory
- Have outbound calls appear with an office number caller ID to protect employee privacy and track personal and business calls separately
8x8 Virtual Office Mobile 4.0 for Android is immediately available for download in the Google (News - Alert) Play App store.
Edited by Rachel Ramsey